H-index Google Citations: 41; H-index Scopus: 21; H-index Web of Science: 17. Look for citations in Google Scholar: http://scholar.google.nl/citations?user=pw2srdQAAAAJ
Research Gate: RG Score 35.29; Percentile 92,5%; Reads: 49,787; Citations: 3,867; H-index (without self-citations): 29.
Field Normalized Citation Score (FNCS) of personal publications 2009-2013 Social sciences=3.05; FNCS 2013 All sciences=3.62. FNCS ECS publications 2009-2012 Social Sciences: 2.14
- 1992 PhD Educational Science and Technology, University of Twente, Netherlands; Promoters: Prof. dr. W.J. Nijhof; Prof. dr. Tj. Plomp
- 1982 Masters in Educational Sciences, University of Utrecht, Netherlands; Advisors: Dr. H. Franssen; Dr. C. van Vilsteren
- 1974 State Teachers College, Meppel, Netherlands
- 1971 State HBS-B (pre-university secondary education), Meppel, Netherlands
- 2017-present Professor emeritus Education and Competence Studies, Wageningen University, the Netherlands
- 2000-present Full-time Professor and Head of the chair group of Education and Competence Studies, Wageningen University, the Netherlands
- 2013 – 2015 Visiting Professor Toulouse Business School, University of Toulouse, France
- 2004-2005 Seconded National Expert at Cedefop, Area A (Research), Thessaloniki, Greece (01-07- 2004 until 01-08-2005)
- 1998-2000 0,5 Professor and Head of the chair group of Agricultural Education, Wageningen University, the Netherlands 0,5 Associate Professor Department of Educational Organisation and Management, Faculty of Educational Science and Technology, University of Twente, the Netherlands
- 1997-1998 Associate Professor, Faculty of Educational Science and Technology, University of Twente, the Netherlands
- 1993 Visiting Professor, University of Syracuse, New York, USA
- 1984-1997 Assistant Professor, Faculty of Educational Science and Technology, University of Twente, the Netherlands
- 1982-1984 Policy expert at the Netherlands Organisation for Teacher Training in Vocational and Technical Education, Ede, the Netherlands
- 1982-1984 Teacher in research methodology and statistics at the College for Health Care, Leusden, the Netherlands
- 1981-1982 Teacher trainer at the Teachers College, Utrecht, the Netherlands
- 1980-1982 Curriculum developer and teacher trainer at the Teachers College in Nursing, Leusden, Netherlands
- 1974-1979 Elementary school teacher at and vice-director of elementary school De Werkhof at Werkhoven, Netherlands
- 1999 ‘Training Award’ of the Netherlands Association of Training Professionals (NVvO). See Jury report here: 1999 Opleidingsonderscheiding NVvO.
- 2005 Appointed ‘Honorary Scientist’ at the Rural Development Agency, Seoul, Republic of Korea.
- 2007 ‘Outstanding Service Award’ from the Asia-Pacific Educators Association for Agriculture and Environment.
- 2008 ‘Outstanding Paper Award’, Journal of Workplace Learning.
- 2011 Elected ‘Honorary Member’ of the Vocational Education and Training Research Network (VETNET) of the European Educational Research Association (EERA) by the VETNET Board and Members. See: 2011-09-16 MM HF VETNET EN.
- 2015 Award in ‘Recognition of Exceptional Service’ as 2015 AIAEE Conference Organizer of the Association of International Agricultural and Extension Education. See: 2015 AIAEE.
- 2016 ‘Agricultural Extension Education Leadership Award’ for the highly innovative accomplishment for Agricultural Research, Education and Services, of Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, India, on January 27.
- 2016 ‘Certificate of Appreciation’ in Recognition of Service to the American Educational Research Association (AERA) Special Interest Group (SIG) Workplace Learning (WPL).
- 2016 Appointed (in retrospect) ‘Honorary Member’ of the Vocational Education and Training Research Network (VETNET) by the Council of the European Educational Research Association (EERA) See: http://www.eera-ecer.de/networks/honorary-members/.
- 2016 Winner of the ‘European VET Researcher’ Award of the European Commission for life time commitment to and achievement of Vocational Education and Training Research. Handed out by European Commissioner Marianne Thyssen on December 9, 2016. See: http://ec.europa.eu/avservices/video/player.cfm?ref=I133334&videolang=EN&devurl=http://ec.europa.eu/avservices/video/player/config.cfm.
- 2017 Outstanding Reviewer for the Journal of Workplace Learning in the 2017 Emerald Literati Awards (www.emeraldgrouppublishing.com/authors/literati/awards.htm?year=2017).
- 2018 Award for Excellence in the category Outstanding Reviewer of the Journal of Workplace Learning. (www.emeraldgrouppublishing.com/authors/literati/awards.htm?year=2018).
- American Educational Research Association – http://www.aera.net/
- European Educational Research Association – http://www.eera-ecer.eu/
- Vereniging voor Onderwijs Research – http://www.vorsite.nl/
- Nederlandse Vereniging van HRD-professionals in ontwikkelen en opleiden (NVO2) – http://www.nvo2.nl/
- DGfE – Deutsche Gesellschaft für Erziehungswissenschaften
- British Eduational Research Association
- Academy for Human Resource Development
Boards – committees (1995-present)
- 2016 – present Member of the Program Council of the Netherlands Qualifications Framework
- 2014 – present Constituing member of the board of WERA-Integrated Network VETNET
- 2014 – present Member of the Academic Board of NCOI
- 2013 – present Chair Division Higher Education of the Netherlands Association for Educational Research
- 2013 – 2016 Member of Departmental Council, Department of Social Sciences of Wageningen University
- 2015 Chair of the AIAEE and ESEE conferences at Wageningen University
- 2013 – 2014 Member of the Supervisory Committee of the Policy Evaluation of the Green Plus Means, Ministry of Economic Affairs
- 2013 – 2014 Chair Dissertation Award Committee American Educational Research Association Special Interest Group Work Place Learning
- 2013 Immediate-past Chair American Educational Research Association Special Interest Group Work Place Learning
- 2012 – 2016 Member of the Board of the Education Institute of Wageningen University
- 2012 – 2016 Chair of the Promotions and Tenure Committee Social Sciences Wageningen University
- 2001 – 2016 Chair of the Education Committee of the WASS Graduate School, Wageningen University
- 2012 Chair organisation committee Educational Research Days 2012 (ORD2012)
- 2012 Chair American Educational Research Association Special Interest Group Work Place Learning
- 2012 Member of the Supervisory Commitee of the 3rd Evaluation of the Measure on Education and Entrepreneurship
- 2010 – 2012 Chair of Examination Committee Department of Social Sciences Wageningen University
- 1998 – 2011 Member management team ICO (Research School in Educational Sciences)
- 2011 Member of Steering Group of Evaluation of the Tenure Track system in Wageningen
- 2006 Advisor of the Flemish Education Council (on competence developing education)
- 2006 Member of the test-visitation committee of the EHSAL in Brussels, Belgium
- 2006 Member of the Visitation Committee for Education in Technology and Management for the University of Groningen, QANU, the Netherlands
- 2004 – 2005 Member of the Visitation Committee for Education in Technology and Management, Association of Cooperating Dutch Universities (VSNU)
- 2002 – 2004 Member of the Visitation Committee for Education in Technology and Management, Association of Cooperating Dutch Universities (VSNU)
- 2001 – 2004 Member of the Board of the Educational Institute of Social Sciences, Wageningen UR
- 1998 – 2004 Member Advisory Council Training & Development Journal (Netherlands)
- 1996 – 2004 Member Advisory Council Didacta (Training Trade Show – Netherlands)
- 2000 – 2003 Member Board Foundation Information Provision Agricultural Education
- 1999 – 2012 Member of the Interuniversitary Committee for University Teacher Training (VSNU)
- 2001 – 2002 Commissioner De Boertien Groep, the Netherlands
- 2001 – 2002 hair Interdepartemental Committee Entrepreneurship and Education, Ministry of Economic Affairs and Ministry of Education, The Hague, the Netherlands
- 1998 – 2002 Co-opted Member Executive Committee European Educational Research Association
- 1996 – 2002 Chair Division Corporate, Vocational and Adult Education and Training of the Netherlands Association for Educational Research
- 1996 – 2002 Member General Board of the Netherlands Association for Educational Research
- 1996 – 2000 Member of the managementteam department Educational Organisation and Management
- 1996 – 2000 Founder and Chair of the Network for Vocational Education and Training of the European Educational Research Association
- 1995 – 1999 Secretary of the Board of the Netherlands Association for Educational Research
- 1995 – 1998 Member of the Board of the Faculty of Educational Science and Technolgy, Associate Dean for Research
- 1998 – 2002 Co-opted Member Executive Committee European Educational Research Association
- 1996 – 1997 European coordinator of the Academy for Human Resource Development
- 1995 – 1997 Chair of the Special Interest Group Training in Business and Industry of the American Educational Research Association
- Editor-in-chief of the Journal of Agricultural Education and Extension. Competence for Rural Innovation and Transformation.
- See Scimago chart of journal performance below:
Memberships of Editorial Boards
- 2018 – present Journal of Workplace Learning
- International Journal of Research on Vocational Education and Training
- Vocations and Learning
- International Journal of Training and Development
- European Journal of Training and Development